While countless K-12 school districts, particularly in North America, are realizing that incorporating a digital platform as part of their larger information system is ideal for maintaining some semblance of organization and control over student information, many are still very slow to adopt. Oftentimes, schools are still running by storing student information manually and are held up by inefficient processes that no longer suit the times.
If this sounds familiar, it’s time to move forward. The era of digitization is here. Over the past few years, the ed-tech industry has grown rapidly. In 2017, $8.15 billion was invested into ed-tech companies globally and more recently, the EdTech start-up market is predicted to be close to $252 billion.
A student information system (SIS) stores and tracks all student information, including grades and attendance. SIS products are used by teachers, students, and parents to communicate all relevant information pertaining to a student’s education.
Key Benefits of SIS
- Increases Productivity – The right SIS can boost the productivity of your schools. The reason for this increase is due to decreased time maintaining records and an increase in the data accuracy and organization. Less time leads to keeping administration and staff focused on the productivity of the school.
- Streamlines and simplifies tasks – As an educator, keeping track of all activities done by each student is never easy or efficient. But with online student management software, teachers can keep track of each student’s work and what is yet to be done.
- Improved Communication –With a modern SIS solution, students and parents can easily communicate with their teachers and ask relevant questions. All the essential data is available, allowing for a reduction in the cost of communication, which includes calling and sending out messages to let the parents and student know about the various activities within the school. Communication across the school division can also be improved with information being stored in a central location.
- Can Be Accessed by All Parties Involved – Gone are the days when parents know little to nothing about what their child does at school. SIS has made it possible for parents to have access to their children’s school activities, assignments, attendance, and other relevant information.
- Efficient Scheduling – The management of a school timetable is typically the work of the school administration department. However, often despite having dedicated staff to manage it, time management can often become, well—unmanaged. By implementing a dedicated school administration software, timetables can be automatically created, and students, teachers, and parents can have access to it.
- Helps to Keep Track of All Students – School activity goes beyond the wall of the classrooms. There are other activities such as sports, clubs and other extracurricular activities that need to be accounted for, maintained, and structured. SIS has features that see to that—and make sure the record of each student is intact.
- Reduction of Human Labour and Workload – The cost incurred from employing staff to manage students and school activities is an additional cost. With a student management system, staff workload is reduced, and teachers can then engage the SIS more. This leads them to a reduction in teacher workload and saves them time that could be better spent in the classroom.
- Saves Natural Resources – By implementing a cloud-based solution, schools no longer have to rely on paper files and records. With a modern SIS system, performing routine administrative tasks can be completed and recorded without paper. This leads to saving natural resources and keeps a digital audit trail of the data. Supporting documents can also be scanned and attached as a digital document with the student record.
- Access from Anywhere – The software can be accessed from anywhere and at any time. A record of everything can be kept due to its easy accessibility. It also facilitates providing immediate information to all the stakeholders. All they require is a smart phone, tablet of desktop computer.
- Transparency with Parents Increases – The cloud-based software, allows for transparency between parents, teachers, and the students. Parents can check on their children from time to time and keep track of their academic development.
Edsembli | SIS
With Edsembli | SIS, schools and staff are afforded all these benefits and more. Additional benefits and features include:
- Instant access to actionable dashboards
- Simplification of data collection and management
- Report effortlessly in real-time
- Bespoke student portfolios that allow for access to student records, performance, and health records—all in one place.
- Built-in fee payments with a platform that connects directly to students and parents and enables online payments
Contact an Edsembli specialist today and book a demo to uncover how Edsembli | SIS can help your schools to streamline student information through our robust cloud-based platform, to help empower your staff, students, and administrators.