Edsembli is seeking a seasoned professional to join their team as Cloud Operations Lead. The company is a specialized software solutions vendor that provides back-office IT services (similar in scope to ERP-type services) to the K-12 education sector. It serves over 1.7-million students across North America, providing a suite of services for school administration and student information systems.
This role provides the opportunity to:
- Join a small, talented and driven Software as a Service product company
- Build a foundation for long-term career growth in a growing, entrepreneurial IT firm
- Manage Application Support Analysts across the Integrated Finance, Human Resource/Payroll and Student Information Systems Applications with the sponsorship of the Client
Edsembli has a long history of providing school boards and districts with productive and cost-effective enterprise technology. With offerings that include Student Information Systems (SIS) as well as Human Resources & Payroll (HRP), and Finance (FIN) modules, the company delivers a complete back office IT solution to schools as they seek to access and share information, deliver efficiencies and make better administrative decisions.
- Lead and mentor a high performing team in the operations and maintenance of production support and cloud services.
- Hands-on leader who can bridge any knowledge gaps between the DevOps, and Development teams with an attention to detail around a high security environment.
- Compliance including SOC II and PCI-DSS Level 1 certified, and other third-party audit requirements.
- Provide service escalation, application support and cloud services technical support for the production applications as per the Service Level agreements with the customer base.
- Work with the product development stakeholders and the cloud service providers to continuously improve both product development and infrastructure governance and processes.
- Ensure consistent and timely delivery of new releases of production applications while ensuring predictable and scalable software change management practices for the customer base.
- Communicate project status and issues in a concise and accurate manner to the senior management of the company.
- Develop contingency plans to anticipate bottlenecks, provide timely escalation management, anticipate and make technical trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
- Plan and manage concurrent projects.
- Take a proactive, hands-on approach to problem solving and issue resolution with the customer base.
- Monitor system health and provide 99.99% availability for business-critical systems.
- Provide leadership in facilitating cross-functional issue resolution with internal resources and the customer base.
- Develop a technical architecture plan for the company’s stakeholders to support the annual major development projects.
- Key escalation point for incident management process, business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Build automation and processes to quickly onboard new technologies and product updates into the integrated platform so that these technologies can be rapidly provisioned throughout multiple production and non-production environments.
- Ensure the DevOps & Application support team members participate in all incident and problem resolution as it relates to production infrastructure and ensure all activities are logged in the Jira Service Desk management tool.
- Perform monitoring activities to ensure all systems and services are meeting service level agreements.
- Practice asset management procedures to ensure all cloud infrastructure is managed accurately.
- Develop a repeatable process for upgrade, maintenance and patching activities for production systems and services.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies, products and services.
- Ensure documentation is developed and maintained for DevOps SOPs and cloud services.
- Be on-call off-hours to provide support for operational tasks.
- University degree/diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or requisite experience.
- Microsoft Certification (MCSE) or equivalent certification in relevant programs desired.
- Ideal candidate will have worked in Managed Services or Consultative environments.
- Experience working in an Agile Scrum environment.
- Experience with infrastructure automation code for cloud environments such as OpenStack, AWS, or GCP.
- Strong scripting/development knowledge (Ex. Shell/Python/Ruby/Perl).
- Working knowledge of Linux server administration (3+ years).
- Hands on experience with Continuous Integration best practices and implementation, preferably using Jenkins or GitLab.
- Experience with setting up a Continuous Delivery pipelines, ideally all the way to production.
- Knowledge around Docker, Docker Compose, Kubernetes or similar Container technologies.
- Breadth of general technical knowledge and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a cross functional team environment.
- Experience working in a high security or heavily regulated environment.
- Effective under pressure to deliver per customer needs.
- Good problem resolution skills.
- Excellent team member & player.
- After-hours implementation work required.
- Strong Working Experience & Knowledge of the following:
- Experience with Azure services as SQL, Platform as a Service, Load Balancers, Lambda, Storage, EBS, Storage Gateway,Database, Networking, VPC (all foundational elements such as ACLs, Security Groups, Route Tables, Internet & Virtual Private Gateways, etc.), ALB/NLB load balancers, Security, IAM.
- Experience in CI/CD technologies deployment and maintenance.
- Extensive Experience in a Linux and MS Windows operating systems, configuration, installation, tuning, maintenance and monitoring.
- Extensive knowledge of web server technologies as Internet Information Service and Advanced Application Routing, Apache, Nginx, Proxy Varnish, Redis.
- Experience with scripting (Python, Perl, Bash, PowerShell)
- Extensive experience with automation systems: Ansible, Terraforms, CloudFormation, Puppet, AWS management tools – AWS Config, Cloudtrail, Cloudwatch, Systems Manager, Trusted Advisor.
- Good understanding of cloud services as PagerDuty, Cloudflare, SnowFlake, Pingdom, NewRelic, AWS Cloudwatch, Sumologic or Splunk.
- Knowledge of current and emerging cloud and IaaS security trends. IaaS security and architecture concepts, including network segmentation, perimeter security, event monitoring; remediation methods